If you’re wondering how to figure out your new year’s word for 2022, this post is for you.
A few years ago, this “Word of the Year” trend began to gain popularity. While I’ve never been a New Year’s resolution kind of woman, this “Special Word” concept really appealed to me. It’s simple and symbolic, a word that contains the energy of a whole year’s desire – I love that!
In late 2017, I decided to choose a word for myself, but I was super surprised at how challenging that actually was. I spent weeks (literally – weeks) overthinking until I landed on my word for 2018. (It was “Legacy.”)
When November rolled around the following year, I decided to write down the process that finally helped me narrow it down. I’d really like to save you some time. This post will help you do just that.
What IS a “word of the year?”
It’s a word that symbolizes a big goal for the year — or, really, the energy of that goal.
How is it different from a resolution?
A resolution tends to be super specific (think, “lose 20 pounds” or “make $100,000”). A resolution more easily takes you into the weeds of the HOW. Your word of the year holds an energy of the growth and change you’d like to see. It just all around feels like a more intuitive approach to growth.
How do you figure out your 2022 word?
I realize that some people just immediately KNOW, but if that’s not you, you are in very good company – this is hard! To make it easier, I have a simple process that will help you figure it out.
- Start with how you want to FEEL. Jump to one year from now. Imagine looking back over the last year. How do you want to feel? What are the accomplishments and experiences that you want to be looking back on? Try journaling on these questions to get into the right frame of mind.
- Create a list of words that seem to capture that feeling. I recommend no more than 5-10 to start.
- Narrow your list down to two words. Not easy, I know! Don’t second guess this – you’ll be here all day.
- For each word, make a list of reasons why that word best captures the essence of 2022 for you. You may find yourself leaning into one word more than the other (and that’s ideal).
- Make the decision. Choose one of the words and trust yourself that that is the ONE.
To make this even easier, I put this process into a workbook that also includes lists of words. The workbook is totally free. Just click here to drop your email and I’ll send it right to you.
Choosing your Word of the Year is only part of the story. Remember that YOU get to create your year. YOU can take the actions and the paths that will lead to that moment a year from now when you stand there, looking back on what an incredible year 2022 was for you. Yes, life might throw some stuff at you, because that’s life, but every year is another opportunity to grow, help people, and do the big things your heart desires.
I know you can. Keep going, my friend, we need that gorgeous light of yours.